ANNOUNCING VERY SPECIAL EVENT: In honor of Lambda Pi’s 60 years at Chico State (1944 to 2004), we will be dedicating a memorial bench on campus at 12:30 PM on Saturday, October 9. New University President Paul Zing and several college deans and officials will attend to help honor Lambda Pi. Join Alums, family, and friends of Lambda Pi will dedicate a permanent bench on campus near the Rose Garden. See location and parking instructions below. Special guests will include:
Three Founding Fathers of Lambda Pi from class of 1944:
- Vic Brownell
- Harry Estes
- Delbert Raby
Seven of the eight Lambda Pis recognized by the University as Distinguished Graduates will also be in attendance:
- College of Natural Science
Floyd English, Ken Lange, Mike Strand
- College of Agriculture
Sandy Beck, Gary Griswold
- College of Business
Brian Strom, Chuck Seufferlein
- College of Engineering
Don’t miss this biggest event in Lambda Pi lore – a permanent campus memorial in honor of our 60 years on campus!
Note: Even if you can’t make the reunion dinner dance, please join us on campus at 12:30 PM for our memorial dedication.
- Lambda Pi will be the first fraternity or group to dedicate a permanent memorial on campus.
- No other fraternity or group has more than one Distinguished Alum recognized by the University. As of April this year, Lambda Pi now has EIGHT! It must be something in the water (or beer). Are you proud?
60th Anniversary Agenda
Friday, October 10:
- 1:00 PM Alumni Golf – Email Ben Strand to sign up or check on details. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Course: Canyon Oaks Chico
- 5:00 PM – Pi House Alums and spouses informal gathering at the Lambda Pi House at 432 Cedar (Phone; 530/894-5680) (5th and Cedar and three blocks south of Oasis). It’s a short walk – same side of the tracks.
- 7:00 PM Oasis Bar & Grill: Beers & Burgers (phone: 343-4305) alumni and spouses
Saturday, October 11
- 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM – Annual Meeting -- Lambda Pi Alumni Association
Where: ‘Sylvester’s on the Creek’ – (old dining hall on campus)
- IMPORTANT – Once a year we meet to plan our future and elect officers; PLEASE plan to attend this very important 90-minute meeting for the future of Lambda Pi Alumni; it is only held once a year. Meet fellow Brothers and learn what plans your Alumni Association has for the future.
- Note: You may park in ANY Restricted campus parking space on the weekend; weekday restrictions are NOT enforced on weekends.
- 12:30 PM – Special dedication of Lambda Pi memorial on campus in honor of our 60th Anniversary at Chico State (1944 to 2004). Location: On campus near the Rose Garden on East side of library. NOTE: Immediately following our annual meeting, we will walk together 75 yards to the memorial dedication site near the Rose Garden. Have your family and friends meet you at the dedication site as we ask that only Pi alumni attend the annual meeting.
- 1:30 PM – Informal alumni gathering at Lambda Pi fraternity house – 432 Cedar Street (corner of 5th & Cedar – Phone: 530/894-5680) (Spouses, family, friends welcome)
- 5:00 PM – Decade Happy Hours (see previous emails)
- 7:00 PM – Lambda Pi Alumni 60th Anniversary Reunion Banquet
- Where: “The Big Room” at Sierra Nevada Brewery (www.sierra-nevada.com) Chico, CA 95926 Phone: 530/345- (1/2 mile west of Highway 99 on East 20th St
- Who: Lambda Pi Alumni, spouses, friends
- What: Brotherhood like you wouldn’t believe, old photos, singing of Lambda Pi songs (OK so you can’t remember—we’ll have copies)
- Cost: $50 per person (Includes a fine dinner, followed by singing of the Lambda Pi songs, followed by live music - Band: Chico State's own Omega Chi Little Nell & Lambda Pi sweetheart Jill Block & her 5-piece recording band from Nashville will play music from all of the decades! www.jillblock.com
- Send in your banquet reservation form in ASAP (attached above).
Need a room?
- Oxford Suites – Chico – Call 1-800/870-7848 – ½ mile from Sierra Nevada Brewery. If you have a problem, contact one of the BOG members
Lambda Pi Website
Check out our new Alumni Newsletter & photos. Also click on “Members Listing” to find lost brothers; always check YOUR listing to make sure it has current information, i.e. correct email and mailing address, pledge class, etc. To make corrections: Click “Update/Change”, enter your name, and then when you see your listing go to far right column and click “Update”). Website: www.lambdapi.org
Reunion Best Practices
Bring a camera and old Lambda Pi & Chico photos, call three or four Pi classmates and invite them to attend with you
We are SIX weeks away from our big 60th anniversary reunion of Lambda Pi so send in your reservations so we can get an accurate count. I have had email from Lambda Pis who are flying in for the reunion from: Florida, Texas, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Oregon, and other states.
How Can You Help?:
- Call three or four of your Pi brothers and invite them to attend
- Make your room reservation and send in your Reunion Banquent reservation form (attached); the Sierra Nevada is one of the best venues in Chico – known for great food; this will be a first class deal!
We’ve got a great group coming and are looking forward to seeing you.
Mike Strand – Fall ‘64
Past President – Lambda Pi Alumni Association